Getting around by bus in India is one thing we never recommend. Driving in India, in general, is very negligent and risky.
This, transferred to a trip in the bus, multiplies by ten the danger of an accident. Drivers rather than driving people, it seems that they do it with cattle or simple merchandise. You will live double overtaking, triple overtaking, impossible curves, swerves and things like that.
All this logically without a seatbelt, and if you go on a public bus, add twice or triple the number of people the bus can support.
The bus in India by the normal general is in a bad state, some companies escape of this neglect in the maintenance. Do not look at the tires because you will not find any drawings on them.
The bus in India: the transport you should avoid:
General bus tips in India
But if for any type of setback (very common in India) you were forced to use a bus in India, we give you some practical information that you will be well-acquainted with:
- The most comfortable buses in India are called AC VOLVO. So when you go to buy your ticket, always ask that it be in Volvo. There are other classes, such as DELUXE, etc. This depends on your budget.
- If you take a bus in India without air conditioning it will be a very, very old bus. Even if you think you do not need AC, do it for a little more security on the trip.
- For long night trips, there is sleeper class, which are complete bunk beds. It is a good option to sleep a little better.
- Avoid the back seats by all means. You will literally fly from your seat in every pothole.
- Do not neglect your carry-on luggage.
- Ask the agency if they are going to charge you an extra for the big backpack. Make sure the waiter who keeps the bags does not want to charge you more.
- Always ask what is the destination station, since in large cities there are usually several.
Where to Consult and Buy Bus tickets in India:
Obviously, you will have a thousand tourist agencies that will sell you bus tickets. But if you want to do it yourself, there are some pages that allow it
⇒ Gobbibo: it is a page where you can consult different transports and buy the tickets. They will cost you a little more.
⇒Makemytrip: page very similar to the previous one. You can also pay with a card.
⇒Redbus: on this page, you can also check, but when paying you will need an Indian card.
Pages of buses “of the state”.
- Each state in India has its “public” bus network. Despite being from the state, they are good and mostly in good condition. At least those we have used.
- If you want to check their schedules and prices, each state has its website. Some allow you to buy and others do not. But as a source of consultation is very good.
- These buses travel as much between cities in the same state, as between neighboring states.
- In some, to book you ask you to register, but tranquil @, much easier than on trains!
In New Delhi, the page to check and book the buses is http://www.dtcbooking.in
♥ TRICK: If you want to know all the bus pages of all the states of India, do not worry, you do not have to know them by heart. It’s as easy as they all end in the acronym RTC, which means road Transport Corporation.
So, you just have to put the name of the state + RTC in Google, and the page will appear. Some we leave you some examples:
- Second Pradesh / APSRTC
- Himachal Pradesh /HRTCHP
- Uttar Pradesh / UPSRTC
- Jammu and Kashmir / JKRTC
- Karnataka / KSRTC
- Rajasthan / RSRTC
- Telangana / TSRTC
If you want to book tickets for the respective buses before you can get from the tsrtc bus booking, this is for the Telangana state and for the other states you need to choose some other one.
Now you know how to check bus schedules and prices in India. But we insist, use them as the last option !!